Hi! Today I’m excited to participate in Staci Troilo’s Second Annual Virtual Cookie Exchange!
I decided to make a sugar cookie that is paleo, gluten-free, and dairy free. Our family has many different dietary needs, including celiac and dairy allergies. I do a variation of the AIP Paleo diet to keep my autoimmune in remission, so I don’t eat sugar, dairy, nightshades, or gluten. I make everything from scratch and avoid all prepackaged foods.
My notes and changes follow the recipe. I added pictures to show what I used and did.
Here is the recipe I found online at Erin Lives Whole. Thank you, Erin 🙂
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Here are my ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tbsp water
- a few drops of food coloring
Here’s what I used:
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Add almond flour, coconut flour baking soda, salt (all dry ingredients) to a medium bowl
- Mix together egg, honey, coconut oil, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a large bowl
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine
- Mix until a ball forms
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 30 minutes to prevent sticking when rolling.
My dough before I put in the fridge:
- Roll dough about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Watch cookies closely – they burn quickly!
- If decorating, allow cookies to cool completely
Icing (for decorating)
- Add powdered sugar, water, and food coloring together. Mix to combine
- Put in ziplock bag and cut corner to allow for easy decorating.
Here are my cookie all ready for Santa!
- I made a couple of changes to the recipe. I added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a splash of maple syrup to replace the almond extract that turned out to be empty.
- I don’t think I chilled the dough long enough because I had a hard time with my cookie cutters even with flour. So, I used a glass to shape ornaments.
- I used my convection setting on my oven since I am at 3700 feet.
- When it came time to put the icing on the cookies, I set three aside for me without any added sugar icing.
- I’m not skilled at decorating. I do think they look like ornaments though.
- My husband insists they are the best cookies I’ve made, but I think he might be a little biased. Although, I thought they were very tasty too.